2 Cor 1:23-24
But I call God to witness against me—it was to spare you that I refrained from coming again to Corinth. Not that we lord it over your faith, but we work with you for your joy, for you stand firm in your faith.
This begins a very important section for us. Paul is dealing with the sins of the church at Corinth. We see here a useful model of godly intimacy in times of sin.
Notice in this section:
But I call God to witness against me
1) Paul's earnest sincerity. He even goes so far as to swear. This is very humble. He is an Apostle. Still he accepts the reality that he has to defend his integrity.
it was to spare you that I refrained from coming again to Corinth.
2) Paul's desire to resolve this sin without confrontation.
Not that we lord it over your faith, but we work with you for your joy, for you stand firm in your faith.
3) Paul's motive to work as a team against sin, since they really are on the same team. It is pain and accountability with the character of pastoral, submisive, redemptive intimacy."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment